for the broth
- 32 ounces of veggie broth
- 4 green onions (divide green part from white parts)
- 1 red onion (save half for soup) or 1 shallot
- 4 garlic cloves (save one for soup)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbs coconut palm sugar
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise pods
- 4 cloves (or dash of clove powder)
- 3 tablespoons Raw Coconut Aminos, Soy-Free Seasoning Sauce
- Himalayan salt (to taste)
for the soup
- 16 oz rice noodles
- broccoli, carrots (and/or whatever veggies you want in it)
- Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (both green and white parts separated)
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts (approximately)
- fresh basil (several leaves, to taste)
- cilantro (to taste...I personally love fresh cilantro)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (for serving)
- Sriracha chili sauce and or garlic chili sauce (to taste...I like it spicy!)
- Optional - hoisin sauce (to taste but not soy-free, so not in my dish)
- To make the broth, heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add half the red onion or shallots, garlic, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves, then dry-roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to char. Add the Veggie broth and alternative soy sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain into a clean pot and discard the solids. Taste the broth and add salt if necessary. Keep warm over low heat.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare the rice noodles. Place the noodles in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over the noodles to cover and soak until soft enough to your preference. Each noodle pack is different, so read instructions on box of the noodles you use.
- Chop up the other half of the red onion or shallots very thinly slived. Stir fry the onions for a few minutes in the olive oil. Then add in the broccoli, mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and carrots and stir fry, keeping them nice and crisp, then turn off heat. Drain the soaked rice noodles once ready and divide evenly among 4 to 6 large bowls, or however many servings for equal distribution of noodles and soup. Ladle the hot broth over the noodles and add the stir fried veggies. Serve the bowls of pho with the green part of the green onion, bean sprouts, cilantro, basil and lime wedges. And additionally hoisin sauce and chili sauces on a separate platter so that everyone can season their own soup as they wish.
All IngredientsStir fry the green onion, shallots, garlic, ginger, star anise and cinnamonAdd Vegetable brothStir on high until it boils, turn down to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutesChop up ingredinetsDrain broth and discard the boiled veggiesheat oil and stir in the whites of the green onions and shallotsAdd hot water over noodles and let sit until soft, then drainAdd in the shiitake mushrooms, carrotsadd the broccoli and stir fryServe noodles in bowlLadle broth with veggies over noodles. Top with cilantro, basil, sriracha sauce, bean sprouts and squeeze in lime.Enjoy!