So what is it specifically about algae that makes it an important food to help solve your health problems? Turns out, there are two reasons.
Incredible nutrient densityOne of the two reasons people become sick is due to nutrient deficiency. A serious shortage of one or two nutrients can create fundamental problems that result in serious pain, discomfort, and lowered quality of life. Unfortunately, regular consumption of the conventional food supply makes these symptoms inevitable, due to nutrients being stripped at every stage from seed to plate.
The good news is that algae has largely been "saved" from this process and is so nutrient dense that it could arguably be called a complete food. Consider this nutrient profile that includes blue-green algae, spirulina, and chlorella:
- Rich in vitamins A, C, E, K, and B-complex including B12 and B6. Also one of the few whole food sources of vitamin D.
- Rich in natural minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium, as well as many trace minerals.
- Abundant in beta-carotene, lutein, and polysaccharides.
- Contains essential fatty acids (EFA's) including gamma linolenic acid (GLA).
- A rich source (up to 70%) of highly digestible, complete vegetarian protein.
- A potent source of chlorophyll, the lifeblood of plants.
- Rich in enzymes and phytonutrients.
Efficient detoxificationThe second reason people become chronically ill is due to toxic build up. Even though the body is designed to handle these unwelcome visitors, our consistent introduction of toxins to our body has overwhelmed it to the point that it can no longer detoxify itself efficiently. When this occurs, toxic build up accumulates and adversely affects the health of our cells, which results in accelerated ageing and disease.
Fortunately, there are some powerful foods that can help detoxify your body efficiently, and algae are certainly one of the best. Some of their detoxification abilities include:
- Detox the body from biotoxins such as tuberculosis, lyme disease, tetanus toxins, mold, phytates, dioxins, pesticides, and industrial waste.
- Binds and helps eliminate heavy metals like mercury, lead, nickel, and aluminum.
- Promotes production of healthy flora, bacteria, and probiotics, which results in an effective digestive system that creates a clean and toxic free intestinal system.
- Promotes a properly functioning immune system, which rids the body of all kinds of pathogens, and helps fight cancer (a symptom of toxic overload).
Anyone who has tasted algae knows the taste is not the most palatable. However, a little goes a long way and it can easily be worked into a smoothie. To make a simple, yet nutrient dense, superfood smoothie that contains algae, consider trying this delicious Chocolate Avocado Crunch Smoothie Recipe. Also, check out this recipe for a Homemade Nutrition Powder.
About the author:
Derek Henry, B.Kin, is a highly revered holistic health coach and world renowned natural health blogger and educator who created Healing the Body to help people understand the fundamental principles to exceptional health so they can overcome their own health challenges.