Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Garden update 6/17/13

 6/7/13- View from NE of garden
  6/7/13- Lettuce and Spinach harvest...dinner:)
  6/7/13- Chamomile flowers are starting to bloom^_^
  6/7/13- Sugar Snap Peas...uncovered...so eaten all up!
  6/7/13- Spinach...I see the Long stemmed ones did very well, the other variety didn't seem to bloom
  6/7/13- Dino kale...in the space in front I planted 2 very small seedlings of some plant a gardener gave me last minute...can't remember the name, but I wasn't familiar wit h it.
  6/7/13- Black Beauty Zucchini...they are Way smaller than they were last year at this time, then again I planted them several weeks later (as suggested by my planting guide)
  6/7/13- Each plant has more than one growing in it...I want to thin it out to one, but conflicted in which ones to pull...example here the stem is white as can be and dried out, yet it grew big...hmm...3 in here so far
  6/7/13- Same with this one, the transplanted one's stem is turning white and drying out, so not sure if it will survive, so I'll wait before pulling any out...3 in here so far
  6/7/13- It looks like the transplanted one will do ok, so I'll wait a little longer and pull the one I planted from seed into the garden
  6/7/13- Here's the hole that the transplanted one didn't survive, so I'll wait a little longer and see which one does better, then pull the other one
  6/7/13- Before leaving my garden I took a few from the 3 varieties and planted them into the 5th row where that variety didn't grow
  6/7/13- Spinach planted here seem to either be eaten up, or not grow...will plant some more soon
  6/7/13- My poor Swiss Chard plants didn't make it, but looks like a few are trying...I transplanted some new ones in the holes, and it looks like some seeds planted directly are sprouting
  6/7/13- Curled Scotch kale doing very well!
  6/7/13- Red Russian kale is doing great too...this year I only planted 2 plants
  6/7/13- Michihili cabbages...all seemed to be flowering, so I just cut them down...last year I harvested them 3 days from today, and they were Way bigger...what a different spring this year! Planted the same time
  6/7/13- Bok Choy as well are all flowering, I'll harvest one at a time as I use them
  6/7/13- Giant Collards are doing better than last year at this stage because I covered them
 6/7/13- it's amazing how big my cucumbers were last year at this time! But I realized that I planted the seeds later this year (as recommended by my planting guide)