Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kidney Beans

Red Kidney Beans

Getting all of my protein from vegetable sources (except fish) I have come to develop a few favorites that are loaded with protein.  Apart from Hemp seed and raw Whey in my breakfast every morning, a new favorite lunch/dinner source is the good ole' Kidney Bean!  

I first soak about a cup of raw organic kidney beans for a day in cold water (rinsing it a few times with fresh water during the soaking period...soaking dried beans activates the beans to begin the germination process. Once wet, the beans release enzymes that begin to break down their complex sugars into more simple ones. It is the bean's complex sugars that give you gas and indigestion after eating beans that haven't been pre-soaked. The overnight soak method reduces 60% of the complex sugars in most beans.) then I cook it for an hr and a half with 6 cups of water.  I then drain it, rinse it with cool water until the water runs clear, and stick it in the fridge to use for the next couple days.  

A recent favorite of mine has been to mash up about a small handful with my raw cashew cheesy flavored spice sauce and put it in my raw onion bread sandwhich. It not only adds a good amount of protein but adds texture and flavor with the sauce mix, absolutely delicious!  

I also I like to eat it with my spicy raw tomato chips, made in the dehydrator, that turned out to be too flavorful alone (due to the abundance of cayenne pepper and sun-dried tomatoes I added to it). So the blandness of the bean balances it out perfectly, adding a complementing texture too, and becomes a wonderful appetizer.
If curious, the texture of the tomato chips are somewhat chewy as opposed to break apart crispy.   I will share the recipe and process in the future.


Nutrition Facts for cooked Kidney Beans
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 8
Calories 225
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.88g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.127g 1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.487g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.069g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 2mg 0%
Potassium 717mg
Total Carbohydrate 40.36g 13%
Dietary Fiber 11.3g 45%
Sugars 0.57g
Protein 15.35g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 6% Iron 22%