Saturday, September 24, 2011

Raw Onion Bread sandwhich

Doesn't sound too appetizing with the word raw but wow I found a new raw food favorite! I've been craving a sandwich but don't eat bread now so I was really looking forward to making this.

Ingredients: 
3 large red onions
3/4 c flax seed, freshly ground

3/4 c raw sunflower seeds, soaked, then ground in a food processor
1/2 c Nama Shoyu  
1/3 C olive oil 


makes 9 sandwich servings (around 210 calories per serving)


Recipe: 
Blend the flax and the sunflower seeds. Mix all ingredients...then add the onions to mix in.
Peel onions, cut the onions with a slicing disk, transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and mix until all are thoroughly combined.  
Spread half the mount of mixture evenly on 2 dehydrator trays with a teflex sheet.  It took up 2 sheets for me with 2 inch borders, for perfect 9 pieces each (for 9 sandwiches). Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 24 hours flip the crackers onto a tray and dehydrate another 12 hours.  Once dehydrated cut into 9 equal pieces each, fill with with your sandwich favorites, and enjoy!  Where I had the dehydrator it smelled like a Japanese restaurant, so yummy ^_^   


 One side of the bread
The other side of the onion bread
Made a sandwich with avocado, romaine lettuce, my raw moc spicy cheese spread, and tomato (would have added cucumber if I had some)
One layer...I then added another
my sandwich is complete:)
I ate the left over avocado and tomato mixed with the spare lettuce as a side salad...all very filling and extremely flavorful! 

 Recipe from this book
Their famous onion bread
Pictured on the bottom left corner