Monday, June 25, 2012

Spicy Garden Mixed green

Spicy Swiss Chard, Champion Collards and Cabbage
In this dish I wanted to use all 3 greens fresh from my garden
Ingredients
4 stalks of Chinese Michihili Cabbage
3 stalks of 5 color Rainbow Swiss Chard
3 stalks of Champion collard greens
2 stalks of celery
1 onion
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp black mustard seed (freshly ground)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jira) (fresh ground)  
1 tbs tomato paste
dashes of cayenne pepper
dashes of onion powder
olive oil
cilantro
basmati rice (or can be had alone)



Recipe:
Cut up the cabbage, Swiss chard, collard greens and celery...separating the stalks from the leaves.
Cut up the onions in preference size (I was using some left over cut up white onion...but red onion is my preference).
Heat some olive oil and ground up black mustard seeds and cumin seeds on the stove on medium high. 
Once nice and hot, add in the onions, and garlic...stir frequently until they start to turn slightly transparent.
Add the bite sized stalks and sprinkle the cumin and coriander powder over them, along with some cayenne powder (to your preference...I add quite a bit).  
Give it a good stir, if it seems a little dry add some water (I added a few tablespoons worth). 
Add tomato paste (I would have used a cut up tomato or canned tomato and chili but I was fresh out! so tomato paste was the next best thing). If using fresh tomatoes add after the onions, before the stalks.   
Let the sauce heat back up after adding the water and tomato paste (mine was frozen).
Then add in the green leaves. 
Sprinkle a little bit of Himalayan salt over the leaves. I sprinkled yet more cayenne at this time as well.
Cover and set timer for 5 minutes, stir frequently to evenly wilt the leaves. You basically want them to lightly steam. Keep an eye on it...when the leaves look just right, or 5 minutes are up, turn the stove off.
Top with fresh cut up cilantro...and it's ready to eat!
Enjoy it on a bed of quinoa or rice. It's great alone, but I chose to have it over some left over basmati rice because it was super spicy with all the cayenne I added...just right ^_-


 All ingredients - later added some ginger, tomato paste, and a little water
 chopped up ingredients
 heat a little bit of olive oil with the freshly ground cumin seeds and black mustard seeds, then add onions
 After sauteing onions for a few minutes, add the veggie stalks and celery
 sprinkle the cumin and coriander powder over the stalks and celery
 Add some tomato paste, or fresh tomato (which would be added after the onion).  Add some water if dry
 Add the green leaves, and sprinkle some Himalayan salt and cayenne pepper onto them
 I sprinkled some onion powder for some added flavor
 Mix all well then cover for 5 minutes to steam- check occasionally to turn off when they're just wilted enough
 Turn off stove, and top with fresh cut up cilantro
Serve plain, or on a bed of rice (as I did because I made it very spicy)
The trick to making greens irresistible is flavor and spice! I find the spicier my food is the less need for salt I need, and the healthier it turns out:) And spices are great for your health.