Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tomato & Chick peas soup


I got this recipe from Dr. Oz. I wanted to leave the year with some healthy soups to glide me into my Cleanse-month of January, where I will be 100% raw with just fruits and veggies. However I did tweak the recipe slightly...not slight enough! I ended up blending half the recipe, and the original asked for 2 tablespoons of chili powder! In my 1/2 recipe I only put one slightly heaped teaspoon and my mouth, throat and lungs felt like they were on fire...my advice, never follow chili powder recommendations, always add to taste! I even added quinoa to it to try tame it, but didn't make of a difference.  Since I kept the other half of the ingredients to make fresh the next day, thankfully I hadn't added any chilli to it yet, so the next time around it was even more amazing, and I could actually taste it without just feeling the burn.

Ingredients 
1 cup of fire-roasted tomatoes
1/2 (15-oz) can of chick peas
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp cumin powder
sprinkle of oregano
sprinkle of sweet basil
1 tbsp chili powder (I recommend 1/4 tsp then add to taste)
1/8 cup lime juice
1/2 cup Quinoa

Directions 
Puree the tomatoes, chick peas and garlic with the broth and chili powder in a blender. Then transfer mix to a medium large pot, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until all ingredients are hot.

Before serving, stir in the lime juice. Enjoy!

 Ingredients- later added sweet basil and oregano
 Heat blended ingredients until hot enough to enjoy- sprinkle sweet basil and oregano

 Add cooked quinoa to add more texture, protein and taste...Enjoy!