Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gluten/Dairy Free Waffles


 Warm, Light, Fluffy, Sweet! What a treat for breakfast! These gluten free, dairy free waffles turned out even yummier than I anticipated. I thought they'd be too dense for some reason, but they were anything but that. I topped it with 3 different things, and they were all delicious. 1/4 raw agave (which was a wonderful syrup alternative), 1/4 simply fruit blueberry spread, and of course 1/4 gluten-free dairy-free chocolate chips (which were wonderfully melted onto it by the time I got to it). It would also be yummy with some healthy peanut butter or raw honey or fresh fruit..    

Ingredients
1 1/3 cup ThePurePantry Gluten Free Organic Buckwheat Flax pancake mix
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Toppings:
Gluten free dairy free chocolate chips

note- the recipe is almost exactly the same as the crepe recipe except for slightly less almond milk...however I don't see a problem in added the same amount of liquid to make both dishes. I also added a tsp of vanilla extract.  I only had 1 cup of almond milk left so I used 1/2 cup of water ( which turned out just fine:)

Recipe
To make the waffle batter I followed the waffle recipe on the back of the package:) Combine the almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla in a bowl.  I found a more efficient way to make it lump free was to sift the flour mix in while simultaneously stirring...it may take a little bit of coordination to not sift out of the bowl while stirring with the other hand, but you catch on quick. Then mix in the the lightly beaten eggs until all is blended in smoothly. 

Then turn on your waffle maker to heat up, and spray it with olive oil to keep from sticking. I then poured just enough batter to cover the waffle pan without overdoing it...like the crepes, the waffle batter was quite thick and gummy, but made great light spongie waffles! If you wnt more crisp to them you just cook them longer.

I cooked mine on one side for two minutes, then flipped the waffle maker for another 2 minutes and it was just right. 
I then added the chocolate chips to the waffle quarter right away so they could melt. Then another 1/4 I added raw agave nectar (which was a great classic syrup taste), and lastly I put some blueberry fruit spread on half the waffle. They were all scrumptious! I was tempted to make another. You can add whatever topping you'd like:) Fresh fruit and whipped topping is a common favorite, or some raw honey.

 All ingredients
 Simultaneously sift in the flour mix to the almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla
 Mix in the lightly beaten egg
 Stir until smooth
 Make the waffle in the waffle maker...2 minutes on each side
 Top it with your favorite toppings...I choose some raw agave nectar, blueberry fruit spread and gluten/dairy free chocolate chips
 The waffles turned out very light and spongy
by the time I got to the chocolate piece it was all nice and melted:) Yum!