Monday, December 19, 2011

Lettuce Sandwich

My version of a sub...gluten free! I did put fish in it, but would be great as a fully raw veggie sandwich too!

Ingredients

  • 2 leaves of lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Avocado
  • Cucumber
  • fish (or any other sandwich filling such as portabella mushroom)
  • Raw Mayo alternative (made from raw cashews and almond milk)
  • Raw Cheese alternative (made from raw cashews, almond milk, red bell pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast)

 Recipe
Spread the raw mayo alternative on one leaf and the Raw cheese alternative spread on the other leaf. Then slice all the veggies and lay them on one leaf.  Fold over the dark soft part ofthe lettuce leaf to keep the contents from falling out of the sandwich, and place the other lettuce leaf over the other direction folding the soft part on the opposite side holding the sandwich together.  Makes a very filling huge low calorie healthy sandwich!  
I made this sandwich because there was a piece of fish made for me, and I wanted to do something different with it other than eat it plane or thrown in a salad.  Next time I would love to make it meatless and use a portabella mushroom instead! Or for a totally raw meal just omit it and add other veggies. 
It was scrumptious:) Especially with my raw sauces.