Methods that will help you get whiter teeth:There are a variety of treatments and products for teeth whitening: You can have teeth whitening treatment in clinic using laser or LED, or using whitening gel, and you can use household products including whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes, teeth whitening stickers or bottles containing whitening liquid which you apply to your teeth using a special brush.
It is important to remember that medical bleach (high concentration hydrogen peroxide based gel) is indeed very effective, but during the whitening teeth process there is oxidation of dentin (the inner layer of the tooth). The acidic substance may lead to irritation of the nerve, to pain and sensitivity. On the other hand, domestic products based on the low concentration of the active ingredient are washed away by saliva, so are less effective, and the results are disappointing and are not significant for the long term. So what can you do?
1. Baking sodaMix strawberries with baking soda: strawberries are rich in malic acid, which removes stains caused by cigarettes, wine, cola or coffee. Strawberries have many other fantastic healing properties which you can find in my e-book The Healing Berry Guide. This e-book will teach you how to transform your health with berries. Mix the pulp of strawberries with little baking soda and rub the mixture on your teeth. Leave for about 10-20 minutes and brush your teeth thoroughly. Please note – although baking soda whitens the teeth, it can erode the enamel layer, so don’t repeat this treatment more than once to twice a week.
2. Banana or orange peelRub the inner side of a banana skin or orange peel on your teeth, wait 10 minutes and brush the teeth well. The vitamins and minerals in the skin, including potassium and bromine, will whiten the teeth.
3. Apple cider vinegar and lemonSqueeze approximately 1/4 lemon and add 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Dip a brush in the mixture, brush and rinse your mouth well. The mixture can help remove wine, coffee or nicotine stains. Please note – excess acidity could erode the tooth enamel, so don’t repeat this treatments more than once to twice a week.
4. Coal powderDip the toothbrush in a container with coal dust, brush and rinse well with lukewarm water. Coal is a material that absorbs chemicals and toxins. It is able to absorb the acid stains, bacteria and plaque, and help whiten the teeth and removing stains.
5. Brush with saltDip the toothbrush in powdered salt, brush and rinse well. The salt disinfects and absorbs, and can remove light stains of wine or caffeine.
6. Gargle olive oil or coconut oilThese are antibacterial oils, rich in antioxidants that can help in cleaning, disinfecting and removing light stains from the tooth. Add a few drops to the brush or gurgle for a few minutes, and rinse well. You can also add a little bit of peppermint oil to disinfect.
7. Brush with pomegranate juiceThe juice is rich in antioxidants and can help remove stains from the tooth. Dip the brush in natural pomegranate juice, brush and rinse well.
8. Don’t smokeThe nicotine leaves stains on the enamel and discolors the teeth. Avoid smoking or at least reduce the amount of cigarettes.
9. Don’t drink too much citrus juiceConsume citrus juices moderately, such as lemonade or orange juice: they contain pH which could erode the enamel and stain the outer layer of the tooth with the natural color of the juice. Try not to consume more than 2-3 cups per day.
10. Reduce the consumption of dark/staining drinksDrinking lots of coffee, tea (including green tea and herbal teas), cola or red wine will stain the teeth and leave spots and greyish or yellowish residue on the tooth.
11. Don’t consume too much spices with vivid colorsThe intense color of turmeric, curry, paprika and other spices indicates their healthy properties, but they can stain the teeth and therefore you should consume them in moderation.
12. Rinse your mouth with cold or lukewarm waterIf you’ve eaten curry chicken, drunk coffee or smoked, rinse your mouth with cold or lukewarm water immediately after. This will help in removing pigments from the saliva and reducing their adherence to the tooth.
13. Keep oral hygiene with oil pullingOil pulling is mentioned in the Ayurvedic medicine. The basic idea is that oil is swished in the mouth each day and this action helps improve oral health and whiten the teeth.You need to swish a couple teaspoons of a vegetable based oil (coconut oil is the most recommended) in the mouth for about 20 minutes and then spit it out and rinses well. Oil pulling is usually recommended to be done first thing in the morning before eating or drinking, and after it you brush your teeth in the normal morning routine. Read more about this technique in my article how to use oil pulling for oral health.
It is also recommended to visit dental hygienist at least once a year. Cleaning and polishing after plaque removal treatment will help to remove residue and stains from the teeth.
Try these methods and see which one works best for you. Have a beautiful white smile!