Monday, November 7, 2011

Smoothie Breakfast routine

For breakfast I usually have 1 of 2 things.  My super smoothie (shown below, or a chia porridge (more of a pudding).

 1/2 banana (1g protein), 1/3 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup strawberries, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (1g protein), 2 heap tsp flax seeds (1g protein), spinach (not shown in the photo but I will usually add a handful of fresh baby spinach), 1/2 tsp spirulina (2g protein), 1/2 tsp chlorella (2g protein), 100mg Grapefruit seed extract, 1/2 dropper stevia liquid (on mornings I don't workout before breakfast I will substitute the stevia for a tbsp of lingonberry jam (super healthy berry)...I omit this after workouts because of the sugar content in the jam), 6 drops Fulvic (72 fulvic plant mineral electrolytes), 250mg 99.5% Resveratrol, 5g MSM, 1 tbs Hemp Protein (7g protein, 4g fiber, all 20 amino acids), 1 tbs Vanilla Whey (5g protein), 1tsp Deer Antler velvet, 1/2tsp Ho Shou Wu, 1/2tsp Cordyceps (not shown here, but both amazing mushroom herbs that I will often have in my smoothie rather than a tea),   NatraBurst (superfood blend) (Total Protein- around 19g)

I have smoothies on my weights (resistance) workout days, Tuesday and Thursdays, and on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday where workouts are option. I usually take a break or workout if I did not workout in any of the 5 days of the week.
 The Chlorella comes in tablet forms. I use half a serving, 10 tables because I also use Spirulina.

 With all the different colors of powders and fruites the color shifts from greens, to purples to almost greys.  Depending on how much ice I choose to use, it makes anywhere from 24oz-32oz
 I like my smoothie very thick, smooth and slushy.  I then stick it in the freezer while I go to the next step in my morning routine.
 Because of the natural sugars in my smoothie I always have Glucomannan before I have my smoothie.  So I cup up one organic orange, then juice it to wash down the horrible taste of the glucomannan water:p  Glucomannan is wonderful health wise...it is pure fiber, so it slows down the sugar spike your body usually gets from sugars. That is why fruit actually is better than plain sugar because it contains fiber naturally.
 One orange usually makes about 1/4 cup of orange juice which is just enough for me to chace down the taste of the glucomannan water! 
 Here are all the things I take before I sit down to have my smoothie.. Before I start to prep my smoothie I take my probiotic (which should be taken about 15 minutes before your meal).  I then take the krill oil (an essential...I used to take cod liver oil, but krill is even better and mine comes with primrose...spendy but worth it) and digestive enzyme (technically all my breakfast foods are raw so the enzymes in them are not destroyed so the enzyme isn't 100% needed but always helps), then the glucomannan and without taking a breath after gulping down a full glass of that I take a sip of oj.  Then I enjoy the rest of the juice slowly.
 When mixing Glucomannan in water you MUST stir vigorously immediately! Don't pause for anything or you will end up with a very lumpy gel piece.  When I have little gel pieces in the water it literally makes me gag.  Yes this is my Least favorite thing I do for my health!
Also you always want to use cold water...warm water will gel it more rapidly. And drink it right away too.
Once that is over I can sit down with my delicious smoothie:)