Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dinner Smoothie

Dinner Chocolate Spinach Smoothie

I have tested many combination in making a dinner smoothie, and this one is a current favorite. It’s delicious, and no, you do not taste the spinach or the egg!  If you close your eyes and drink it you would just think it’s a dessert smoothie.

Ingredients for 1 serving of Chocolate Spinach Smoothie
  • 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (Vanilla or Chocolate) (40 cals) 1g protein
  • 1 frozen organic banana (100 cals) 1g protein
  • 1 cup frozen spinach (30 cals) 2g protein
  • 1 certified organic raw egg (70 cals) 6g protein
  • 1 teaspoon of raw organic cocoa (5 cals) .5g protein
  • 1 tbs of ground flax seeds* (freshly ground before use) (60 cals) 2.5g protein
  • 1 Raw stevia packet (0 cals)
  • 1 teaspoon of maca powder (20 cals) 1g protein
  • 1 tablespoon of chocolate hemp shake powder (20 cals) 2g protein
  • 1 scoop True Whey- Premium protein powder (40 cals) 8g protein
  • About 8 ice cubes or more for slushy preference (0 cals)
Total Calories- 385 calories per serving

I included the protein count to show you that you do get your protein through other sources besides meats.  This smoothie provided 24g of protein, and was less than 400 calories in total.
You can also use fresh spinach, but I like to use frozen spinach to add to the frozen texture of the smoothie…the more frozen ingredients the better to my preference in a cold smoothie.

And although I don’t eat dairy products, the Source Naturals True Whey is made from milk from contented cows, which are grass fed and never subjected to any growth hormone treatment, chemicals, pesticides, or genetically modified organisms (GMO's) so whey of this standard I make an exception for.

Recipe- with my new slightly larger and BPA-Free blender I…
1.       Add ice cubes and pulse in blender until fairly crushed
2.       Then add frozen banana, spinach, powders and freshly ground flax seeds and blend
3.       Lift cup off the mixer, stick a straw in and enjoy:)

Now you have a refreshing and nutritional dinner smoothie with plenty of protein and nutrients.  I usually have my dinner at around 7pm.  It fills me right up so I’m satisfied until I go to sleep at around 10:30pm.   You don’t want to eat right before you go to bed because you waste energy. You want your body to recoup during your sleep, not work on digestion.  Your blood cleanses your body when you sleep, so always get enough sleep!