In a study published in the journal Science Translational Medicine, scientists identified a molecule, known as TIC10, which activates a protein that helps fight the disease. The protein, called TRAIL (tumour-necrosis-factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand) suppresses tumour development it can actually cross the blood-brain barrier, which separates the main circulatory system from the brain.
Through the body's infinite wisdom, its systems recognize foreign invaders and poisons such as chemotherapy which are not beneficial for the brain. Many cancer drugs are consequently blocked from passing the blood-brain barrier. However, TRAIL is permitted passage due to its beneficial effects on the immune system.
Another positive is that TIC10 does not just activate the TRAIL gene in cancerous cells, but also in healthy ones. This is known as the 'bystander effect' - i.e. where cells near cancerous cells are also killed.
Nearby healthy cells are also given a boost to increase the number of cancer-killing TRAIL receptors on their cell surface.
10 FUNCTIONAL FOODS THAT INHIBIT TUMORS
1. TurmericCurcumin, possibly the most powerful antioxidant known from the popular Indian spice Turmeric, has countless health benefits. A recent study led by a research team in Munich showed that it can also inhibit formation of metastases.
Curcumin exerts anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects by inhibiting tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), suggesting that its effect on endothelial function may be mediated by the suppression of inflammation and/or oxidative stress via down-regulation of TNF-alpha.
One of the most comprehensive summaries of a review of 700 turmeric studies to date was published by the respected ethnobotanist James A. Duke, Phd. He showed that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects.
2. Sea Vegetables
Of special note in this area of cancer and sea vegetables is the issue of estrogen-related cancers, especially breast cancer. Intake of sea vegetables appears able to modify various aspects of a woman's normal menstrual cycle in such a way that over long periods of time (tens of years) the total cumulative estrogen secretion that occurs during the follicular phase of the cycle gets reduced.
3. Grapes and ResveratrolResveratrol is a phenolic compound that contributes to the antioxidant potential of red grapes.
Resveratrol is not only an antioxidant and antimutagen, but also reduces oxidant-caused cell death. Resveratrol has been shown to inhibit production of nitric oxide and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-A) by lipopolysaccharide-stimulated Kuppfer cells. Kuppfer cells are macrophages fixed in place in the liver. Their chronic overproduction of nitric oxide and TNF-A due to chronic infection can cause severe liver damage.
Perhaps Resveratrol's most important property is its ability to inhibit cyclooxygenase-2 (CoX-2). CoX-2 is related to cancers and abnormal growths in the intestinal tract. Natural CoX-2 inhibitors such as resveratrol have been shown to reduce the occurrence of cancers and pre-cancerous growths. So while pharmaceutical companies race to find complex agents that inhibit CoX-2, the ingredient is already present in red grapes which if consumed daily (or via organic grape juice) will protect against tumors naturally.
4. Chlorella and SpirulinaScientists in South Korea recently found that carotenoids from chlorella may be effectively used to prevent cancer in humans. They discovered the primary carotenoid from C. ellipsoidea is violaxanthin, while the major carotenoid from C. vulgaris is lutein. They examined the activity of semi-purified extracts of these carotenoids against human cancer and found they inhibited cancer cell growth in a dose-dependent manner.
Chlorophyll neutralizes environmental toxins and pollutants. It helps the blood carry oxygen to all cells and tissues. Cancer cannot thrive in cells that are fully oxygenated. Chlorophyll plays a part in chlorella's ability to detoxify heavy metals, and is a natural wound healer. There is evidence that chlorophyll reduces the ability of carcinogens to bind with DNA in major organs. Its anti-mutagenic properties make it protective against toxins such as pharmaceutical drugs.
Spirulina simply is unable to remove heavy metals like chlorella does, as it lacks a cell membrane, however it shows significant immune-boosting properties. It is is made of a spiral strand which gives it its name. Spirulina is rich in vitamins B, E, K and beta carotene as well as iron and magnesium and essential fatty acids. It contains amino acids that promote improved mental functioning, vitality and energy, and balanced blood sugar. According to a study done in China, selenium-infused spirulina inhibited the growth of breast cancer cells.
5. Green TeaThe health benefits of green tea are due to the presence of a group of plant flavonoids called catechins. Of particular interest to researchers is epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate (EGCG), the primary catechin in green tea. For example, South Korean researchers have found that EGCG blocks TNF naturally by interfering with the ability of certain pro-inflammatory chemicals to bind to cells of smooth muscle tissue of the vascular system. In a 2009 study conducted by the Chonbuk National University Medical School, it was noted that the specific mechanism of action of EGCG in terms of blocking TNF is the suppression of fractalkine, an inflammatory agent specifically involved in the development of arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries.
6. Cruciferous VegetablesCruciferous vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, other nutrients, and chemicals known as glucosinolates. These chemicals break down into several biologically active compounds that are known to possess anticancer effects. Arugula, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnips and collard greens are a few among many different types of cruciferous vegetables which are rich in nutrients, including several carotenoids (beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin); vitamins C, E, and K; folate; and minerals.
Biologically active compounds such as indoles, nitriles, thiocyanates, and isothiocyanates in these vegetables prevent cancer by protecting cells from DNA damage, helping inactivate carcinogens, inducing cell death of carcinogens and inhibiting tumor blood vessel formation (angiogenesis) and tumor cell migration (needed for metastasis). For total glucosinolate content, turnip greens outscore cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and broccoli among the most commonly eaten cruciferous vegetables.
7. TomatoesRegular consumption of tomato and its products is being consistently associated with lower risk of several types of cancer and, to a lesser extent, coronary heart disease. Among the many tomato components credited with healthful properties, carotenoids and particularly lycopene are being actively investigated.
Modest effects of the regular intake of a tomato juice provides small amounts of carotenoids which were found on the production of inflammatory mediators, such as TNF-alpha. TNF-alpha production by whole blood was found to be more than 30% lower after almost a month of consuming raw tomato juice.
8. Medicinal MushroomsMushrooms have been used for at least 5000 years for nutritional and medicinal purposes. Anti-viral and anti-cancer effects have been demonstrated in more than 50 species through animal and in vitro studies. Six components of these mushrooms have been investigated for their activity in human cancers: the lentinan component of shiitake, schizophyllan, active hexose correlated compound (AHCC), maitake D-fraction and two components of Coriolus versicolor.
Coriolus versicolor is an extremely common polypore mushroom which can be found throughout the world. Versicolor means 'of several colours' and it is true that this mushroom is found in a wide variety of different colours as depicted in the image above. It is also recognized as a medicinal mushroom in Chinese medicine under the name yun zhi.
Polysaccharide-K (PSK), is a protein-bound polysaccharide isolated fromTrametes versicolor, which is used as an immune system boosting agent in the treatment of cancer in some European countries as well as China and Japan. In Japan, PSK is approved as an adjuvant for cancer therapy and is covered by government health insurance.
PSK displays anticancer activity from preliminary laboratory assessmentsin vitro, in vivo and in human clinical trials. Preliminary research has shown that the PSK might reduce mutagen-induced, radiation-induced, and spontaneously-induced development of experimental cancer cell preparations.
9. GarlicThe study, published online in the journal Cancer Prevention Research,notes that Chinese medicine has used garlic since 2000 BCE. The authors suggest compounds such as diallyl sulfide--that are released when a garlic bulb breaks into cloves--may contribute to the herb's potential preventative powers.
A number of studies on garlic have appeared dealing with diallyl sulfide and cancer. One from the Republic of Korea cites diallyl disulfide (DADS) as the most prevalent oil-soluble sulfur compound in garlic, inhibiting cell proliferation in many cell lines. Scientists there examined DADS ability to kill cells in a process involving free radical production. They found that the famous tumor suppressor gene, p53, arrested the cell cycle when DADS treatment was present. Cancer cells died following 24 hour DADS treatment that activated the p53 gene. They also found that DADS induced cell death was prevented by treatment with a compound known to prevent p53 dependent cell death by reducing free radical levels in the mitochrondria, the cellular furnaces. Their results showed that mitochrondrial free radicals may serve as second messengers in DADS-induced cell death, which requires activation of p53. That study was found in the Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology.
Allicin - which gives garlic its aroma and flavour - acts as the world's most powerful antioxidant. Allicin compound has to decompose in order to generate a potent antioxidant. The reaction between the sulfenic acid and radicals is as fast as it can get, limited only by the time. Garlic oil and powder supplements are produced by distilling fresh garlic, and then diluting it with other substances rendering them ineffective. This process destroys the majority of allicin in garlic. AlliMAX is the only nutraceutical with a difference as it is the only one to provide the body with a guaranteed 100% yield of pure stabilized allicin extract.
10. HempHemp oil promotes full body healing and raises melatonin levels thousands of times higher than normal. When the pineal gland produces vast amounts of melatonin, it causes no harm to the body but it is very hard on the condition you are suffering from and indeed can eliminate it.
Melatonin has been shown to slow or stop the growth of several types of cancer cells and even treat cancer. Some of the studies have suggested that melatonin may extend survival and improve quality of life for patients with certain types of untreatable cancers such as advanced lung cancer and melanoma. Some studies reported that a small number of cancers went into total or partial remission
Peer-reviewed and published research has shown melatonin offers particularly strong protection against reproductive cancers. Cells throughout your body -- even cancer cells -- have melatonin receptors. So when melatonin makes its nightly rounds, cell division slows. When this hormone latches onto a breast cancer cell, it has been found to counteract estrogen's tendency to stimulate cell growth.
For almost a decade, Rick Simpson has been showing people how to cure cancer with hemp oil. Both the commercial legal type of hemp oil and the illegal THC laden hemp oil are the most power-packed protein sources available in the plant kingdom. Its oil can be used in many nutritional and transdermal applications.
Hemp oil is one of the richest sources of essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, providing an excellent balance between omega-3, -6 and -9 fatty acids. All of these substances are currently being discussed, not only in the alternative health scene, but also by the food industry, which is searching for suitable ingredients to create so called 'functional foods'.