- Water is extremely good for your health as it is the best way to keep the body hydrated, and it helps flush out harmful toxins.
- Lemon is a good source of many nutrients like calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and vitamins A, C and B-complex as well as pectin fiber, proteins and carbohydrates. Lemon’s citric acid and strong antibacterial, antiviral and immune-boosting powers also help keep you healthy.
1. Improves DigestionSeveral components in lemon stimulate your liver to produce more bile needed for healthy digestion. Also, lemon assists the digestive system in flushing unwanted materials and toxins out of the body.
A daily glass of warm lemon water helps relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating.
It also prevents constipation and diarrhea by promoting smooth bowel functioning. The American Cancer Society recommends this healthy drink to cancer patients to help stimulate bowel movements.
2. Aids Weight LossIf you are trying to lose weight, drinking a glass of warm lemon water with honey will definitely help you reach your goal. Lemon is high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings and keeps you feeling full for a longer time.
Also, the combination of warm water, honey and lemon creates a more alkaline atmosphere in your stomach helping you lose weight faster.
3. Clears SkinDaily consumption of warm lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It helps purify your blood and encourages growth of new blood cells.
Also, the high vitamin C content as well as other antioxidants in lemon helps keep the skin free from wrinkles and blemishes and helps combat free-radical damage.
The water and honey add restorative, antibacterial and collagen-boosting properties to promote your skin health.
4. Supports Immune SystemWarm lemon water also boosts the immune system. Being rich in vitamin C, lemon helps boost the immune system and assists the body in fighting colds and flu.
Plus, lemon enhances the body’s ability to absorb iron, an important nutrient for a healthy immune system. Lemon also contains saponins, which have antimicrobial properties that help keep infections at bay.
5. Treats Bad BreathThe acidic nature of lemon, combined with the medicinal properties of honey and water, can help eliminate bad breath. It cleanses the mouth and activates production of saliva that kills odor-causing bacteria.
Lemon water also helps get rid of the white film on your tongue that usually develops while you sleep. This white film consists of decaying food and bacteria that cause bad breath.
6. Balances pH LevelsLemon is one of the best alkalizing foods for the body as it contains both citric and ascorbic acid that help maintain the pH levels. A good pH level is essential as too much acidity in the body can be inflammatory.
Drinking lemon water regularly on an empty stomach in the morning helps remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints that is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation.
7. Increases Energy
The nourishing elements like vitamins B and C, phosphorous, proteins and carbohydrates present in lemon make it a natural energizing agent. It hydrates and oxygenates the body to keep you feeling revitalized, energized and refreshed.
Also, as lemon contains more negative-charged ions, it provides instant energy when it enters the digestive tract. Plus, the scent of lemon has mood-enhancing and energizing properties.
8. Cures Throat Infections
The antibacterial properties of lemon aid in fighting problems related to throat infections, a sore throat and tonsillitis.
In fact, people who drink a glass of warm lemon water each morning are at a lower risk of developing throat infections. This healthy drink even helps prevent respiratory problems like asthma.
If you have a sore throat, drink this healthy drink and also use it to gargle frequently to speed up the healing process.
9. Controls High Blood Pressure
Those suffering from high blood pressure can benefit immensely from this healthy drink. It helps cleanse the lymphatic system and keeps it hydrated.
The high potassium content in lemon also helps you sleep better, reduces stress and improves your mental functioning, which in turn helps keep your blood pressure in the normal range.
10. Cleans the Urinary Tract
Warm lemon water acts as a diuretic and hence helps cleanse the urinary tract and encourages the production of urine. Plus, this healthy drink can change the pH level of the urinary tract, in turn discouraging the proliferation of bad bacteria.
The citric acid in lemon also aids in detoxification that is essential to keep the urinary tract free of infections. For women who suffer from frequent UTIs (urinary tract infections), this healthy drink will be a big help to keep recurrent infections at bay.
To sum up, having a glass of fresh lemon water first thing in the morning can improve your health immensely. For better health and energy, you must make this an essential part of your daily routine.