Monday, September 30, 2013

Vitamin cures for fantastic skin


 By Nathalie Chantal de Ahna

1. Vitamin C: Exfoliator.
You probably already know that vitamin C is incredibly important to boost your immune system. But has it ever come to your mind that you can use it to prepare a super effective DIY exfoliator? Just mix a teaspoon or two of vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) with some almond milk until you get a nice paste, and massage it into your face with a little brush. Once you feel it tingle, rinse and apply some rosewater. Do this 3-5 times a week, and your skin texture will improve quickly. Don't use on injured skin, as ascorbic acid burns in open wounds. 

2. Vitamin E: Anti-Wrinkle Treatment.
I'm 35 and I don't have any wrinkles — except for my frown lines, which I started cultivating when I was still a child (I'm a frowner by nature, I'm afraid). Last year, however, I also noticed some fine lines around my eyes. Uhhhh, that didn't feel too good, because I simply wasn't ready for noticeable signs of aging in my face yet. So I went looking for an effective vitamin cure which would quickly solve this problem, and I found it in vitamin E. Just squeeze the content of one vitamin E capsule onto fine lines of your clean face before you go to bed, and you'll be as good as new when you wake up the next morning. 

3. Omega-3 fatty acids: Face Mask.
Whenever people ask me about my diet secret, I tell them: I love my fat! It's true: I eat a considerable amount of healthy fats. Why? Well, there are numerous health benefits, but skin-wise, omega-3 fatty acids are perfect for reducing inflammation, lines and wrinkles, and they even help you fight clogged pores. If you want to use them externally, mix a little bit of finely ground chia seeds with some organic yogurt and a splash of flaxseed oil, and stir thoroughly. Apply on your skin like a face mask and rinse with lukewarm water after 15-20 minutes. If you do this before you go to bed at night, you'll still feel the moisturizing and rejuvenating effects the next day. 

4. Zinc: Moisturizer.
Zinc is a powerful nutrient. Not only did a zinc supplement help me get rid of an awful wart on my foot which kept coming back, it's also great for my looks: it promotes cell renewal, has a skin-soothing effect and is a terrific acne buster. If you want to increase your zinc intake, salmon, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate, garlic, chickpeas or shrimp are great sources. 

5. B Vitamins: Overall Skin Health.
B vitamins are vital for healthy skin and could easily be considered genuine skincare heroes. Because B-vitamins are water soluble and get washed out if your body doesn't use them right away, it's important to replace them daily. If you want to give it a try, buy clams, mussels, crab, beef or lamb next time you go shopping, or simply find a good (preferably organic) supplement. I've been using vitamin cures for a couple of years now, and I can tell you one thing: even if most of them are really inexpensive, their effect is priceless!