Thursday, September 4, 2014

Cooked kale

I have to admit, in my 3yrs of enjoying kale I have never actually cooked it! I always have it raw in my salads, but thought I'd give it a try, and it was delicious!

Recipe
Curled Scotch kale (stems and leaves separated...from my garden)
1/2 red onion
1 yellow zucchini squash (fresh from neighbor's garden)
Yellow pear tomatoes & chocolate cherry tomatoes (I used up the ones that were cracking that I just picked from my garden)
1 Chinese 5 colored hot pepper (cut in half...from my garden)
1 tsp Jeera seeds
1 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp of Ghee
sprinkle of Himalayan salt to taste
small handful of pecans
few tbs of water

Directions
Chop kale leaves into bite size pieces, separated from the stems, as they need different cooking times.  Freshly grind the jeera and black mustard seeds.  Chop tomatoes in half or quarters, and dice onion. Chop the stem of the kale in small pieces. Cut the chili pepper in half. 
Heat up the Ghee. When hot add the spices and onion. Saute for a couple minutes then add the kale stems for a couple minutes, then add the yellow squash.  After a few more minutes too add the tomatoes. Keep stirring to not burn, keep at medium heat. Then about 7 minutes or so later, when everything seem to be softening add the kale leaves. Pour in a few tablespoons of water and cover pot. Sprinkle a little bit of salt, and let steam.  Check on kale and stir in. Keep checking until kale is at a desired consistency.  Sprinkle on chopped pecans. And enjoy hot!