Thursday, April 12, 2012

Seed Germination

On April10th I planted the seeds that need to start indoors for my garden:)  
I didn't really have a dedicated green house area, so I made do with what I had.
I bought 2 different greenhouses, one with a heating pad, and one self watering. 
I've never grown anything before so I was pretty clueless about how much water was too much or how to keep the temp just right for all of them. But hopefully I will see some sprouts soon! 
This is the 16 cell self watering kit
 It came with 3 pellets in each cell...and wasn't sure if I was supposed to use all in each or not...instructions weren't very specific, but I went for it.
 Added all the water it asked for (9 cups of warm water) then a plastic piece to lay on top...unlike the other one that came with a plastic dome (that I prefer).
 The 3 pellets filled up each cell. I marked each cell with a number and made sure to write them down as I planted them. Planting 2 seeds in each, or more for the teeny seeds like cauliflower and cabbages.
 
The first 2 days for the large green house I didn't cover them, and kept the room warm. Since the heating mat that came with my kit was defective and didn't work:( I worried if that affected anything. I returned the mat and got a new one that is now working fine:) I also enclosed the area where I have my seeds so the warm air could be trapped, and I check the temp often.  When it dips below 75 degrees I turn the heat of for awhile and cover it with a cloth to trap the heat in longer. I worry leaving the heat on too long would dry them out too fast (adding to my inexperience of how often to water the one that isn't self watering!) But I will share my progress as time passes.