Thursday, April 5, 2012

Green Juice

I was so excited when the juicer finally arrived. Finally I could start adding green juices to my daily diet.  

Virtually every health authority recommends that we get 6-8 servings of vegetables and fruits per day and very few of us actually get that. Juicing is an easy way to virtually guarantee that you will reach your daily target for vegetables.

It's refreshing, and makes the nutrients readily available for instant absorption. Green juicing has been used to help cure so many ailments, including cancer.  
If you can, I highly recommend including green juicing into your daily diet. 

You want to drink the juice within 15 minutes of making the juice due to the oxidation that will take place. If you must store it for later, put it in a glass jar and seal it, be sure to fill it to the brim so you don't include any air in it.

 So far I have made2 juices...both including the same ingredients above. 3 stalks of Swish Chard, a handful of lettuce, a handful baby spinach, one apple, 2 stalks of large celery, half a red bell pepper and half a large cucumber. ALL ingredients are organic.
 The juicer setup is quite simple...the pulp comes out the end, and the juice gets slowly churned and squeezed then drained again in the white strainer that lays above the juice container to discard the froth.  And don't throw away the pulp! That is the fiber of the veggie and fruit. You can make dehydrated crackers with this (as the first stage of moisture has already been removed), to not waist the healthy fiber, or throw it in your compost heap for your garden.
 This amount made 2 full glassed of juice. Perfect to share...or store one serving for later in the day (remembering to remove air from container, and refrigerating.


Healing Through Juicing—The Juice Lady's Story

Cherie Calbom earned her nickname "The Juice Lady" back in 1991, when she worked for the Juiceman company. But she's been passionate about juicing far longer.
"[Y]ears ago, I had chronic fatigue syndrome; fibromyalgia in my late 20s; hypoglycemia; allergies; candidiasis—a long list of problems and no hope to get well," Cherie says.
"I decided I was going to find a way; there had to be a way to get well. So I started going to health food stores and reading. I found an old Norman Walker book… I got my first juicer and I embarked on this five day vegetable juice cleanse, and continued that through three months of juicing. I changed my diet completely.
One morning, I woke up and thought somebody gave me a new body in the middle of the night. It was like WOW! I felt completely healed."
However, it bears mentioning that it wasn't an entirely smooth ride.
"Along the way, I felt worse before I felt better. No one had talked about the detox reactions. My dad kept saying, "I think you're killing yourself with this juice program."…I was definitely detoxing."
In Cherie's case, it took three months before she suddenly felt completely renewed.
Interestingly, three months is also the average lifespan of red blood cells. So in three months you should have renewed most all of your red blood cells. In Cherie's experience, this is the typical time frame for most people before they see any dramatic improvement in their health.