Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte syrup

One word, yumm! Actually a few...warm, cozy, comforting and boy does it smell good! Just what's needed for the first winter morning of the season!

Pumpkin Spice Latte syrup
and the drink it becomes;)

Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup Ingredients 
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup coconut crystals (healthier sugar alternative)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons 100% pumpkin puree
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
Pumpkin Spice Mocha Latte Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon raw cocoa powder (because chocolate is my middle name)
  • 1 teaspoon of instant decaf Nestle coffee
  • 1 mug of unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin spice syrup
  • dash of cinnamon
Note: you can add the syrup to your regularly brewed coffee.  Just add a milk (or milk substitute like almond milk or creamer) and you will have a delicious Autumn drink:) The syrup sweetened the drink enough so no need for any more added sweetener.


Pumpkin Spice Syrup Recipe
In a small sauce pan, combine water, sugar alternative, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Simmer over low to medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (do not boil) I simmered it while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 13 minutes.


Let the syrup cool to lukewarm. Strain syrup through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth, into a bottle or jar. Screw lid on tightly and store in the refrigerator. Use within one month. I strained enough to fill a bottle I had, and there was still some left and I don't like to waste! So i put the rest in a smaller jar that fit perfectly for a most spicy unrefined mixture (don't want to waste all that goodness).  Personally I won't bother straighing it next time I make this, but it's some people's preference to have a smooth syrup. 


Pumpkin Spice Mocha Latte Recipe

To make a pumpkin spice latte: give the syrup a quick stir, and add about 1-2 tablespoons of syrup for a mug of latte...I guess it depends how large your mug is...mine is about a cup and a half so I used 2 Tbsp.  I'm not a huge coffee person, but I wanted to make a genuine latte for this post, so I used one teaspoon of instant decaf coffee, one mug full of unsweetened almond milk, one tsp of raw cocoa and and a sprinkle of cinnamon for presentation at the end...and boy did the steam smell good as I took an aerial view photo of it ^_^ If you want to get fancy, you can top it with whipped cream, if desired. If I had some non-dairy whipped topping I would have used it for presentation.

 All Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Syrup
 Add all ingredients on medium low...
 be sure not to boil...and stir constantly
 Strain the syrup into a jar that will close tight to store in the fridge...do this after it cools a little
 I strained enough to fill the bigger jar and the remaining into a small jar (the unstrained rest)
 There wasn't too much of a consistency difference between the 2
 The strained one was a little more smooth
 You can see the spices in the unstrained jar yumm
 All ingredients for the latte
 Add all ingredients to small sauce pan with the pumpkin spice syrup
Whisk together
 I added one teaspoon of cocoa...because I can:)
 Whisk together until hot enough
 Pour into mug, and dust with cinnamon...Enjoy!