Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gluten/Dairy Free Brownies

Yesterday my little niece celebrated her 3rd Birthday, and I had previously asked here what she wanted for her birthday and all she kept saying was brownies!  And since I had the whole day to spend with her we made a healthier version of classic brownies together:) I remember as a kid my mum was known for her incredible brownies! Kids in my class couldn't wait until I had a birthday so I could bring some brownies to share with the class...a wonderful memory.  So I'm happy to bring the brownie back into my diet as a special treat!

Nothing beats a warm brownie just out of the oven! And I'm happy to say this healthier version is Just as yummy as any regular version!

Ingredients
  • All Natural Pamela's Wheat-Free & Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Mix
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup heaping unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbs Spectrum dairy-free organic shortening
  • 1 tbs raw cacao butter
  • 1 large egg
  • Dairy-free Gluten Free organic Chocolate dream chocolate chips

Recipe
Put the dry brownie mix into a bowl and add the melted butter substitute, apple sauce, water and mix well with a wooden spoon. Then mix in the egg, until all mixed together, don't over-mix the batter.  I then scooped out the remaining melted butter substitute from the glass bowl with my finger and used it to greese an 8x8 inch glass baking dish. 
Put the brownie mix into the pan and bake it on 350 F. for 20-30 minutes. 

I first had the brownies on the second to bottom rack in the oven, and after the recommended 18 minutes of baking only the outer inch was near done. So I put it back in for 7 more minutes moving the rack to the middle of the oven and after the 30 minutes it was just right to my liking. Slightly soft in the middle, but the toothpick came out clean:) Just some gooiness from the melted chocolate chunks inside. 

I then topped it with some chocolate chips in a shape of a heart for some added yumminess and love.

 All Ingredients
 The brownie mix had little chocolate chunks in it (dairy and Gluten free)
 I added a handful of additional dairy free gluten free chocolate chips (that looked black/white before melting)
 I added chocolate chips to make a heart, and filled in the spaces...they quickly melted on the hot brownies so some chips look darker than the melted lighter ones.
 Wasn't the smartest idea to stick candles in a still warm batch of brownies...but it was already past my niece's nap time and I promised her a piece before she went to sleep! So had to scoop out 3 little pools of wax :p Good thing she only turned 3!
We all had a piece while it was still warm...it was ooey and gooey and oo soo good, with lots of melted chocolate in the middle. Next time I won't bother adding the 3 tbs of the organic veggie butter & cocoa butter, and just go all with the applesauce because it was super rich and moist. I was first worried about it being dry, so I added a couple tbs of butter alternative where the recipe suggested many ways of using the brownie mix, one being a butter version (6 Tbs of butter and 1/3 cup oil) another being oil free (only 1/2 cup of apple sauce) so I combined the 2 and added just alil butter alternative (3 tbs total) and 1/3 cup of apple sauce, but for a healthier version I really don't think it needs any oil with the added chocolate chips so I will definitely go with the no oil version:)



More on the ingredients
These rich chocolate morsels are a baker’s dream come true! Crafted from select cocoa beans and processed in one of the few facilities in the world that can guarantee producing chocolate that’s free of all traces of dairy and gluten, they’re an all-natural treat that’s both creamy and delicious. 


Ingredients- Molasses and Honey; Brown Rice Flour; Natural Process Cocoa Powder; White Rice Flour; Tapioca Starch; Sweet Rice Flour; Potato Starch; Gluten-free Natural Flavor (contains corn derivative); Sea Salt; Xanthan Gum; Baking Soda.
Spectrum Organic Shortening with Butter Flavor is a better choice than mass market shortening brands because it’s never hydrogenated which means it has 0g trans fat. It is also dairy Free.
Ingredients- Mechanically pressed organic palm oil, natural butter flavor (non-dairy), annatto and turmeric for color.