Sunday, June 17, 2012

Truth about Pasteurization

Pasteurization, Homogenization, Raw Milk 

 Is Raw Milk Good, Is it Bad, Are there any dangers involved.

High-Temp Pasteurization - Heats up milk to 161 deg for 31 secs.
Enzymes are killed, much of the healthy micro-life is killed, and possibly most importantly Proteins are denatured, which essentially kills it and makes it much more difficult for your body to digest. This can cause inflammatory bowel disease. I personally don't drink pasteurized milk and would not recommend it to anybody else.

The majority of our milk today has become ultra-pasteurized. This is heating up the milk to 280 deg. for a few seconds. The reason they do this is that it kills everything. Ultra Pasteurization not only kills potentially bad things in the milk, but also damages all of the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in the milk. It also kills the enzymes which help your body digest the milk and leads to lactose intolerance. I strongly recommend staying far away from ultra pasteurized milk whether organic or not.

Low Temp pasteurization products are only heated to 145 deg. which is below the temperature that kills most of the beneficial enzymes and the proteins are still in-tact. The one downside is that some of the enzymes and probiotics can be damaged. Culturing this dairy by making yogurt, kefir or amasai will add back in many of those probiotics. This is the closest to raw milk products most of us in the United States can get, and I do recommend consuming milk and other dairy products that have been low temperature pasteurized.

Where to get it.
It can be difficult to find low-temp or raw dairy products, but some stores are starting to carry more of these products. Whole foods carries some raw and low-temp pasteurized cheeses, some areas will have milk as well. All of the Beyond Organic products have been low-temp pasteurized and this is where I get all my cheese and cultured drinks.

Beyond Organic Low-Temp Pasteurization Products can be found here: http://bit.ly/MfmR3F if you're interested.


To find RAW Milk in your area: http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

Pasteurization, Homogenization and Raw Milk Resources

My personal thoughts on milk? I personally have removed dairy from my diet, and it's done a lot of good for me and those I have encouraged to remove it from their diets (due to unexplained allergies, breathing problems, congestion etc.) So my own experience and close contact experiences has shown me all the proof I need about conventional pasteurized milk...however it does bother me that we are restricted on making our Own health choices for those who choose to provide others with Raw milk or consume it, if that's what they choose to consume for their own health reasons!  For a government to come into a farmers home and physically Destroy all their raw milk produce is criminal act in my eyes! And abuse of power and just Not right.