Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden update & 4th Lettuce Harvest

Here are some updated photos of my garden taken on 6/13/2012
I planted my tomatoes and peppers that day too, but forgot to take photos, thankfully it's been raining so haven't gone back yet. 
I harvested my first Boy Choy Pak Choi and head lettuce. 
My first zucchini is finally showing up!
Watermelon plants are thriving:)
Row covers are really showing that they work, as my kale and spinach in the uncovered row have been enjoyed by the critters of nature:p That's ok...I don't mind sharing. 

5 colored Swiss Chard
Spinach (in non covered rows...it shows)
Bok Choy close up
 
Bok Choy Pak Choi
more Bok Choy...this one got harvested...ate it today!

Champion Collards
Chinese Michihilli Cabbage...ready to be harvested!
Chinese Michihilli Cabbage..sure is a wild grower
Curly Scotch Kale...yummmy (in non covered row...doing better than the dinosaur kale!)
Spinach
Nero de Toscana cabbage (Dinosaur Kale) the garden critters love it as much as I do! (non covered row)
Kale
Early Sprouting Broccoli and dill in front (deceiving name...broccoli takes forever!)
Moon and Star watermelon...stars are still beautiful! Sunlight washed them away in these photos
the other Moon and Star watermelon
My harvested Bok Choy
more lettuce, head of lettuce and Cauliflower
wind blown black beauty zucchini
My first Zucchini growing!
a very odd looking radish...or weed? 
Either way, it had to go
weeeeds...where my carrots were supposed to be
another weed where the carrots were meant to grow 
So I weeded them all out, and left what looked to be the poor carrots struggling to survive in the weeds mess....only a few weren't overwhelmed by the weeks and started to grow
My harvest for the day:)  BIG bag of mixed lettuce, 1 head of lettuce, and 1 bok choy
I washed each one out carefully and took out the ones that tasted bitter, the left that remained were sooo light and crisp and tender, nothing like store bought ^_^

6/15/2012 Lunch
Cooked up the Boy Choy...it was delicious!