Friday, February 3, 2012

Amaranth Raw Chocolate balls


After popping some amaranth for my niece it gave me the idea to add it to my raw chocolate dessert I often make.  These raw super powder chocolate balls are one of my favorite healthy desserts/food.  
I made a few alterations and additions from my usual recipe. 

You can find the recipe by clicking my previous blog with photos here~~~> Coconutty-frozen-banana-chocolate-balls

Here are the ingredients I used for this recipe:
  • 1/2 cup of raw cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 cup carob powder
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup Pecans
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 heap tsp organic raw Lucuma powder
  • 2 heap tsp organic raw Maca powder
  • 1 tsp dear antler powder 
  • 1 heap tsp Mucuna powder
  • 1/2 tsp Shilajit powder
  • Himalayan salt (a pinch in 3tbs of warm water...to use a tbs of the water)
  • 9 dates
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 raw vanilla bean
  • 1 frozen bananas chopped up into bite size pieces
  • amaranth (if you haven't tasted popped amaranth...it tastes like popcorn!)
Recipe:
The recipe remained the same as the previous blog.  Blended all the nuts, and mixed in all the powders. I blended the almond milk and the vanilla bean seeds with the dates into sweet paste. I then added it to the dry ingredients, along with the coconut oil and mixed it well with my hand. Because the mix was a little sticky, I let it sit in the fridge for half an hour.  It firmed up a bit because of the coconut oil that is a solid at temps under 75 degrees F. Being winter, my coconut oil remains a solid in the kitchen, so I put the glass container in a bowl of hot water to slowly melt as much as I need. At that point it was easy to mold into the balls, and sticky enough to roll in the amaranth and coconut flakes. 
I made 4 variates. One plain, just rolled in coconut flakes. One plain rolled in popped amaranth (see blog about it here~~~> amaranth), one first rolled in amaranth then coconut flakes (I gave them one more roll to make sure the coating stays, and the last with frozen banana pieces inside rolled in coconut flakes (I didn't re-roll them which is why they appear whiter).
 The chocolate balls covered in amaranth on top half and the ones with both amaranth and coconut on the bottom half
 
The plain chocolate balls on the left side, and the banana filled ones on the right side
 An amaranth coated one
 One coated in both amaranth and coconut flakes
           The banana center chocolate ball...looks much like the plain ones but bigger