Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Amaranth & Sea Vegetable recipe

I was so excited to make a dish using Amaranth for the first time, and incorporating the extra nutritional punch wish sea vegetables! I was even more delighted when I loved the finish product!


Ingredients
1/4 cup Amaranth grain
3/4 cup filtered water
1/2 onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small zucchini
1 small ripe tomato
garlic powder
onion powder
ginger (I used paste)
cumin, black mustard seeds
about a tsp of coconut oil
some coconut milk
pinch of Himalayan salt

Recipe
To cook the Amaranth- I put 3/4 cup of water and the 1/4 cup of Amaranth on high heat until it boiled, then lowered the heat to let it simmer for 20 minutes...or until water is almost all gone. Taste to determine if it's ready. Hard to describe it, it becomes tiny firm/soft little balls, very yummy. 

To cook the stir fry- I heated the coconut oil and black mustard seeds until they started popping, then added the onion.  After letting the onion cook for a couple minutes I then lowered the heat and added the tomato and a minute after all the spices. Stiring a couple minutes and then added the zucchini and red bell peppers. To better cook the zucchini I added some organic coconut milk for mositure.  I covered it a couple minutes, then let it cook uncovered for the last couple minutes, tasting the zucchini and red peppers until cooked to my liking. And it was ready:)

I then topped the dish with sea vegetables.  The prepackaged see vegetables I bought came in sea salt for preservation, so I thoroughly rinsed them, then soaked them for 10 minutes. I just topped the dish with the raw sea vegetables. When I first opened the package I instantly imagined myself in the ocean! I haven't spelled the ocean in a Lonng time, flooded me with memories...so yes smelled exactly like the ocean...which made me a little nervous about how it would taste, but it wasn't overwhelming at All mixed in the dish after being rinsed and soaked. I loved it!

 1/4 cup of Amaranth- when uncooked they are a very hard small seed
 Add 3/4 cup of water and simmer for 20 minutes or until water disappears
 When done the water will disappear and you are left with soft firm testure
 Yum- I could eat it alone and enjoy it.
It is high in protein, vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), iron, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and magnesium. This serving gives me 7g of protein, 21% of my daily iron and 5g of fiber. 
Close up...small little beads

The Topping






Rinse off the packaging sea salt
 Soaked the sea vegetables